Return to Sports Road Map
SMR Return to Athletics Road Map: This link directs you to the overall athletics plan/road map summary. Last week, we met with the St. Mary's Count Health Department and received approval to move forward with our plan. We will begin with Phase 1 on Monday, September 21. The document provides an overall summary about what was approved and how we plan to unpack our plan in athletics, step by step. Now that we have a clearer timeline, we will begin to post details and updates. We will communicate each step of the way.
Sports Specific Training Period Plan: We plan to submit our plan to the St. Mary's County Health Department this week for approval.
- The proposed start in the plan for athletics is September 21 (pending approval)
- Fall & Winter sports will have modified practice/training time built in
- Spring sport athletes will have Strength & Conditioning times available in the morning via reservation (TBA)
- VVS registered bus riders will have access to the late/activity bus via reservation (TBA)
- 100% virtual students can participate in athletics, but will have to self-transport
- Once approved by the Health Department: A schedule and 1 page summary of details for parents/student-athletes & coaches will be published. We will also hold coaches training and Q&A sessions for parents/student-athletes.
An acclimation period for fall sports and boys basketball began on July 20.
On Tuesday, July 28, the Washington Catholic Athletic Conference released the following information about the Return to Play Plan:
The Washington Catholic Athletic Conference is announcing that it will be postponing all fall athletics due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The WCAC spans seven jurisdictions and will continually monitor the restrictions placed on schools and athletics by each jurisdiction throughout the fall. We are currently exploring various scheduling options with a start date of January 1, 2021.
Athletics plays an important role in the school environment and the overall development of students. The safety of our student athletes will always be the first priority in any future decisions concerning rescheduling of fall sports.
Stephen F. Colantuoni
SMR is working on providing additional information and details regarding our plans for training, conditioning, practices or scrimmages for all sports per local jurisdiction guidelines which will be published in August via the Athletic Director's newsletter. The WCAC is working on a modified 3-season timeline for all sports.
Coach Lombardo is currently formulating a plan based on the WCAC's press release and what it means for our athletic community. Please stay tuned for Zoom meetings in early August for coaches, student-athletes and their families.