eLearning and Closure FAQs
Learning Updates and FAQs
for SMR Families
Updated April 3, 2020
Below are event updates for April - June, and we will keep you posted as new information becomes available.
- Prom - Prom is tentatively rescheduled for Saturday, June 6 at the same location - the Holiday Inn on Solomons Island. If it becomes necessary to reschedule the event again, SMR will host the dance on campus in the Donnie Williams Center over the summer.
- Athletic Signing Days - National Letter of Intent signing day events will occur virtually. Look for more information and details from Mr. Atherton.
- Wellness Week - Wellness Week is April 20 - 24 and this year it will occur virtually. Details will be available after Spring Break.
- Fine Arts Events - All fine arts events scheduled in April and May have been postponed. Since we host these events on campus, we have more flexibility with rescheduling. Please stay tuned as details become available.
- Graduation Events - At this time, we are still planning for graduation events to occur as scheduled. A decision will be made by April 30 about rescheduling graduation. If graduation events are rescheduled, a Class of 2020 Celebration weekend will be held on July 31 and August 1. Please save the date!
- Knight Gala - The Knight Gala has been tentatively rescheduled for Friday, June 5. A decision will be made by April 30 about continuing with this date.
If you have ideas or suggestions about how to best continue with any of the above events, please email Principal Bowes at email@example.com.
Updated March 26, 2020
Here are the updates to eLearning that you need to know about. These updates have been made with input from our students and their parents as well as our teachers.
1) We will continue eLearning through April 24. Students and Teachers will continue to do their work from home. No eLearning classes will take place during our Easter Break which will begin on Thursday, April 9 with eLearning resuming on Monday, April 20.
2) 3rd quarter, scheduled to end this Friday, March 27, will be extended until Monday, March 30. No eLearning classes will be held on Monday to allow teachers time to complete grading. Students who have made arrangements with their teacher(s) to accept missing assignments or overdue assessments will have until 11:59 p.m. on Monday, March 30 to complete these.
3) On Monday by 7:45 a.m., I will post a form allowing a student, with parent support, to formally request for an Incomplete grade for one or more courses.This form is to be used for circumstances directly related to the closure of campus and/or the move to eLearning. A caution: Students will have limited time to resolve Incomplete grades and so students who wish to be approved for an Incomplete should be able to demonstrate that they have been diligent in attempting to meet the March 30 11:59 p.m. deadline for make-up work.
4) Based on feedback from our SMR community, the following modifications have been made. These modifications have been made to increase student and teacher focus and care on a lesser number of subjects per day, to assist families sharing band-width, and to provide a more sustainable work/feedback cycle. Please see the chart at the conclusion of this message which will help you understand those things that are being updated and those things that will remain the same.
- Beginning Tuesday, March 31, students will complete their eLearning according to an every other day schedule. Named after our school colors, these alternating eLearning days will be called "Green Days" and "Blue Days."
- Departments have been divided by color in this way: Green Day: Computer Science, Math, History/Social Science, Theology, Business. Blue Day: Science, English, World Languages, Arts, Fitness
This alternating Green Day/Blue Day begins with a Green Day on Tuesday, March 31. (A completed pattern appears at the end of this message.)
- Teachers will continue to provide 45 minute lessons with the exception of our AP teachers who will begin providing 60 minute lessons commensurate with the additional GPA weight these courses have.
- Teachers will provide due times for assignment that are 11:59 p.m. the same day rather than 7:45 a.m. the next morning. NOTE: In an effort to allow for flexibility, Dropboxes will remain open after 11:59 p.m. but students are expected to make every effort to meet the 11:59 p.m. deadline.
March 31-April 3: TTH = Green Days; WF = Blue Days
April 6-8: MW = Green Days; T = Blue Day
April 9-19 = Spring Break (No eLearning classes)
April 20-24: MWF = Blue Days; TTH = Green Days
Updated: March 25, 2020
Today, the State of Maryland Department of Education made the decision to keep schools closed until April 24. St. Mary's Ryken has decided to follow the guidelines for the health and safety of our entire community.
Tomorrow, we will send out an update regarding the April school calendar and modifications to eLearning and the end of the 3rd quarter. Please be sure to read these important updates tomorrow.
We appreciate your support and patience. Remember, even though you are learning remotely, you are not alone!
We continue to keep your families in our prayers through this very trying time for our local community and the world.
Updated: March 23, 2020
SMR e-learning began on Wednesday, March 18 and continues throughout our campus closure.
Faculty and staff are working remotely from home.
Reminder for Students: Please visit each class page on the mySMR portal to locate each teacher's “E Learning Matrix”. If you need clarification, please contact individual teachers for instructions and details. Thank you.
Updated: March 17, 2020
Even though you’re learning remotely, you are not alone.
Check out the resources below and don’t hesitate to ask for help. During the campus closure, if you need assistance with IT, or to contact the school nurse, an administrator, a resource teacher or other school representative, please use a button on the right.
- Resources from Counselors - Tips for Students
- Resources from Counselors - Tips for Parents
- Is there a resource that you need and it's not on this page?
- When will students attend class?
- How can parents view classes and assignments?
- Who do I contact if I am having trouble accessing the mySMR Portal?
- Will daily attendance be taken?
- When will teachers be available to answer questions?
- What applications will teachers use to teach?
- What does each day look like?
- When will Athletics resume?
- Will end of year events be affected?
- What is the school doing to make sure it’s safe to return?
- How can I contact staff members during the school closure?