A Summer Program for Incoming Freshmen
Program dates: July 13 - 16 or July 27 - 30 from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Freshman Experience is a week long summer program designed to acclimate incoming Freshmen to the SMR campus, learn the curriculum, and meet faculty and fellow classmates. It also gives students a chance to make new friends before the school year begins.
Goal of Freshman Experience
The goal of Freshman Experience is to prepare and boost the confidence of incoming Freshmen both academically and socially. All courses, including the Jump Start Series and Freshman Seminar are taught by SMR faculty and are highly successful in preparing incoming Freshmen for their first year of high school at St. Mary's Ryken.
Registration is open for the Class of 2024.Click Here to Register for Freshman Experience
Only available for registered students
The Jump Start Series
The Jump Start Series is a series of content specific courses, designed to prepare incoming freshmen and provide them with a jump start for the fall. Each course in the series will introduce essential new skills and concepts required for student success. Students will select two classes from the series.
Jump Start classes include Math, Science, English, Theology, and Spanish.
The Freshman Seminar
The Freshman Seminar introduces high school success skills to students of all academic levels. Topics include:
- Time management and homework tips
- Note taking skills and testing strategies
- Tips on successful use of the iPad for educational purposes, and how to use apps such as Google Drive and Notability
- Discussion about how to manage stress and navigate the social pressures that come with high school
- Communication skills for interaction with peers and teachers
- The day begins at 9 a.m. and ends at 3 p.m.
- Half-day options are available. Please contact Mrs. Crystal Dunkin (at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-475-7678) for details.
- Lunch is included in the cost of the program.
- Program Fee: $225, which includes two Jump Start sessions each day, Freshman Seminar, lunch and program materials.
- Round-trip transportation fee: $125
- Transportation stops at Prince Frederick, Hughesville, La Plata, Clinton, Brandywine, Owings, and Charlotte Hall
- Information regarding transportation times and specific locations will be emailed a week prior to Freshman Experience.
For more information, please contact Mrs. Crystal Dunkin at email@example.com.
- Are iPads Required?
- What fun activities are planned?
- Are Uniforms Required?
- What should my student bring?
- What's for lunch?
- How early may I drop off my student?
- Can my child stay after for practice?
- Which classes should my student take?
- When will we be notified of my student's Freshman Experience schedule?
- When does Freshman Experience Registration close?
- Are students assigned homework during Freshman Experience?
- What if my child cannot attend the full week?
- What if my child has to leave for part of the day?
- Can my student attend both weeks?