The Freshman Experience
A Summer Program for the
Class of 2022
NEW! From 3:30-4:30 p.m., on July 9 and July 23, parents and students who have an iPad are invited to stay for an informational "Charge Up" event.
This event will help to familiarize families about:
- How to Download books
- How to set up a PowerSchool account
- Active Directory, Google Drive, Airwatch and SMR email
For more information, please contact Mrs. Crystal Dunkin at email@example.com.
Freshman Experience is a five‐day summer program designed to acclimate incoming freshmen to the SMR campus, curriculum, faculty and classmates. It also gives students a chance to make new friends before the school year begins.
The goal of Freshman Experience is to prepare and boost the confidence of incoming freshman, academically and socially. All courses, including the Jump Start Series and Freshman Seminar are taught by SMR faculty and are highly successful in preparing incoming freshmen for their first year at SMR.
The Freshman Experience: Jump Start Series and Freshman Seminar
The Jump Start Series is a series of content specific courses, designed to prepare incoming freshmen and provide them with a jump‐start in the fall. Each course in the series will introduce essential new skills and concepts required for student success. Students will select two classes from the series.
The Freshman Seminar introduces high school success skills to students of all academic levels. Topics include:
- Time management and homework tips
- Note‐taking skills and testing strategies
- Tips on successful use of the iPad for educational purposes, and how to use apps such as Google Drive and Notability
- Discussion about how to manage stress and navigate the social pressures that come with high school
- Communication skills for interaction with peers and teachers
- The day begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 3:30 p.m.
- Half-day options are available.
- Lunch is included in the cost of the program.
$250 - includes two academic Jump Start classes each morning, Freshman Seminar, lunch and program materials.
Transportation from Calvert, Charles and Prince Georges counties is available for $135 for the week.
- Choose your week, then choose your classes.
- Choose your week: July 9-13 or July 23-27
- Choose your classes: Choose 2 classes from the list below and we will craft a morning schedule for your child. *All students will take the Freshman Seminar in the afternoon.
- Jump Start Math (based on your child’s math placement)
- Jump Start Science (based on your child’s science placement)
- Jump Start English
- Jump Start Theology
Registration closes on May 31.
For more information, please contact Mrs. Crystal Dunkin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-475-7678.