SMR Receives Safe Sports School Award!
For the second time in a row, St. Mary's Ryken has been awarded the Safe Sports School award from the National Athletic Trainers' Association.
The Safe Sports School Award recognizes secondary schools around the country that take the crucial steps to keep their athletes free from injuries. The award is valid for three years.
"Most recently, we have greatly improved our communication with the counselors, Dean of Students and Dean of Academics about injuries and associated accommodations," said head Athletic Trainer, Mr. DJ Hayes. "Also, we have further integrated services for student-athletes with local physicians and coordinated an on-campus program for student-physicals. We also improved game coverage by our athletic trainers to further improve the care given to the students."
In order to achieve Safe Sports School Status, Athletic Programs are required to adhere to the following:
- Create a positive athletic health care administrative system
- Provide or coordinate per-participation physical examinations
- Promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities
- Plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment
- Provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes
- Develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions
- Provide or facilitate injury intervention
- Create and rehearse venue-specific Emergency Action Plan
- Provide or facilitate psycho-social consultation and nutritional counseling/education
- Be sure athletes and parents are educated of the potential benefits and risks in sports as well as their responsibilities
St. Mary's Ryken is very grateful to athletic trainers, Mr. DJ Hayes and Ms. Amanda Ripple, for managing a professional, healthy and positive athletic training program for our student-athletes.
- Athletic Training
- Boys Basketball
- Boys Lacrosse
- Boys Soccer
- Boys Tennis
- Cross Country
- Field Hockey
- Girls Basketball
- Girls Ice Hockey
- Girls Lacrosse
- Girls Soccer
- Girls Tennis
- Ice Hockey