Strategic Master Plan
This is a very exciting time for St. Mary’s Ryken High School. I am proud to share with you our strategic plan. The legacies we carry forward from the extraordinary history of Catholic education in Southern Maryland - St. Mary’s Academy and Ryken High School - have become in St. Mary’s Ryken the foundation of tomorrow’s history.
As we planned for future growth over the past few years we broadened Advanced Placement (AP) courses, enhanced the curriculums in the math and science departments and expanded student activities, fine arts and athletics. Technologies have continually been upgraded. Today, almost all of the campus is wireless and all faculty have laptops. Our students continue to be accepted into their first choice colleges across the country. We have seen a steady increase in enrollment and remain proud of the outstanding service our students and alums dedicate themselves to throughout the world. They embody a voice that understands clearly what “falling in love with the service of God” means.
It is time to focus on our future. The strategic plan addresses the future needs of our school. As we look to the future, we must continue to focus on providing excellence in college preparatory programs and attracting and retaining the very best teachers. We must have new athletic facilities for our growing student population. We need to upgrade a physical plant that is over fifty years old. We need to maintain our beautiful campus.
It is time for us to commit seriously to endowments for the long-lasting future of the school and to assure that every student has an opportunity for a Catholic education. This is part of our tradition and our legacy in
The strategic plan has evolved over the past three years from the dedicated work of board members, parents, alumni, students, faculty and administrators as a result of two important self-study tools. First and foremost, we examined our Catholic identity as a college preparatory Xaverian Brothers sponsored school through the Mission Effectiveness Study, which is used by all twelve of our Xaverian Brothers high schools. This study examined six broad areas, identifying how St. Mary’s Ryken consciously brings the mission to life on campus. Through a separate series of surveys with parents, alumni, students and faculty, the school prepared for our second self-study which would lead to the outcomes from the Association of Mid-Atlantic States Re-Accreditation report.
Using the outcomes from the two self-studies during a historic Board of Directors’ retreat, five important goals were identified for the future of St. Mary’s Ryken. With those goals identified, ongoing work began with faculty, administrators, alumni, parents and board committees. Key strategies have been identified and refined over the past year to achieve these five goals.
It is the strength of our faith, the history of our tradition and the power of our legacy that leads us to commit to the foundation of tomorrow’s history.
Mary Joy Hurlburt
Strategic Plan Goals
Goal 1: Educate the Whole Person
Prepare every student for a lifetime of growth in faith, academics, leadership, and community.
- Responding to our Mission Effectiveness Study, St. Mary's Ryken will
- enhance the Campus Ministry program to be a vital part of our students' lives
- re-evaluate the Ryken Program in light of the latest educational best practices and ensure that the program serves the needs of students with learning differences so that they can excel withiin the college preparatory curriculum
- emphasize a healthy lifestyle by hiring a full-time nurse
- Develop a strategic technology master plan, which will enhance teaching and student learning across the curriculum.
- Building on our college preparatory curriculum that is comprehensive, rigorous and intellectually challenging, St. Mary's Ryken will:
- continue to improve standardized test scores
- add a non-western foreign language
- enhance the course offerings in the fine arts department
- continue to develop AP (Advanced Placement) programs
- ensure that the curriculum reflects global awareness and social justice
Goal 2: Reaffirming Our Faculty
To draw, to hold and to sustain the strongest possible faculty who will be committed to the Xaverian philosophy of education and to fulfilling the mission of St. Mary's Ryken.
- Maintain salaries and benefits that are on a competitive level regionally and build greater predictability and clarity to compensation for faculty and staff.
- Provide a professional development educator to maximize student learning and best practices for teachers. Encourage innovative teaching methodology and curriculum development.
- Expand opportunities for faculty, staff and administrators to remain at the top of their profession. Encourage, support and nurture individual professional growth, department and cross-curricular growth and school-wide initiatives by developing a cohesive professional development plan to expand over the next five years.
- Research, identify and support educational initiatives that provide school-wide growth in cooperation with the leadership in the local business community and the Patuxent Naval Air Station. Establish partnerships with institutions of higher learning (i.e. St. Mary's College of Maryland, Catholic University, Mount St. Mary's University, University of Maryland).
- Recognize and reward outstanding performance and accomplishments. Link the cohesive professional development plan to teacher supervision and evaluation.
Goal 3: Improving Our Facilities
Build, renovate and maintain facilities to enhance teaching and all learning experiences for our students.
- Construct a new athletic gym that will meet the growing needs of our student population while also meeting our vital need for a place where the entire school community can gather.
- Rebuild the track, upgrade fields and create a new turf field, which can be used by our outstanding student athletes in the competitive Washington Catholic Athletic Conference and by the greater community.
- Complete the lower level of Romuald Hall to meet the growing needs of our band and choir programs. Enhance the sound and lighting system in the theater and upgrade handicap accessibility in the theater.
- Expand improvements made to the original classroom buildings that will provide a comfortable and safe learning environment.
- Build a science center that will consolidate the science classrooms and laboratory facilities in one area with state-of-the-art equipment and technologies. Build a new student center for students that includes an upgraded food service area and a completely upgraded kitchen.
Goal 4: Advancing Our Resources
Strengthen St. Mary's Ryken's financial foundation for the 21st century to ensure its position as a leader in Catholic college preparatory education.
- Secure capital endowment and annual fund support through a comprehensive campaign to accomplish the goals of the strategic plan.
- Strengthen the advancement efforts in the areas of cultivation and stewardship particularly for alumni.
- Develop an endowment to enable St. Mary's Ryken to sustain competitive compensation and professional development funding for faculty and staff.
- Develop endowments designated for financial aid, technology, campus beautification and building maintenance.
- Establish a long-range financial model that balances the current and future needs of the school and that will guide the annual budget decisions such as tuition.
Goal 5: Growing Our Enrollment
Sustain a thematic and comprehensive marketing program that targets enrollment audiences and communicates clearly the message of St. Mary's Ryken High School in Southern Maryland.
- Develop a strategic marketing plan that will assist the school in a comprehensive approach and visual image of publications and marketing materials. Know and understand the audience to whom the message will be delivered.
- Establish specific enrollment strategies for projected demographic growth in the Southern Maryland region over the next five to ten years.
- Develop and deliver a key core message centered on the mission of the school, which emphasizes St. Mary's Ryken's legacy of educating the whole person.
- Create a magnet program on leadership for students
- Develop a speaker series and guest faculty program in person and online, so that St. Mary's Ryken is recognized as a center of Catholic leadership and intellectual growth.